As I pack and prepare for my trip to DC, I find myself looking back at the time I spent on the campaign. Obviously, this special memory comes to mind. For those of you who don't know the story I thought I'd share; for those of you who do know its time for a refresher!
In August 2012 I was selected to meet the President. I have been writing and re-writing how I want to explain the events of that day. Nothing I wrote seemed to quite capture the moment, so I went through my emails and pulled this out. After meeting the President I composed this message and sent it out to my family and friends. I apologize its a little lengthy...
Hello family and friends!
I have some exciting news to share with you today. As many of you know, I am volunteering with the Obama campaign here in Denver. I am a Neighborhood Team Leader for my neighborhood, leading a team of volunteers in our various campaign efforts. The work I do with the campaign is very rewarding and I am so proud to be working to re-elect this amazing leader.
Today, the President made a campaign stop in Denver and gave an amazing speech on the topic of Women’s health. Not only did I have the amazing opportunity to go and see him speak, I was also invited to meet our President and have my picture taken with him before the event. (I’m sure you all can imagine how ecstatic I was when I heard this news!) So today, I got to meet the man I am working so hard to re-elect.
Thinking I would be SO nervous, I practiced what I would want to tell him. Being a team leader, I talked to the team of volunteers I manage and got their feedback on what they want me to tell him. The general consensus was “Thank you.”
First we gathered outside, got checked in, and waited….. Then we were brought in through security, purses searched, walked through metal detectors, and waited some more. We were lead to the meeting area where we…… you guessed it, waited again. FINALLY we were assembled into a line and got to see the President walk into the photo area. When it was our turn a staff member said “Mr. President, this is Elena & Michelle.”
Elena was so nervous all she said was “Hi, I’m Elena.” I introduced myself and he said “Michelle, I’m very fond of that name!” I then proceeded to share with him that I grew up near El Dorado, Kansas, where his grandmother lived. He replied with “Wow, we could be cousins!” Our picture was taken, and we were ushered on.
It was that short. But in that short time, I felt like I had just spent a few moments with a long lost friend.
From there we then went into the auditorium where he would soon be speaking. We were escorted to the standing area just in front of the podium, had a great view! Some of the volunteers on my team got special VIP tickets to be in the crowd of women on the stage. One of which you can see on the CNN broadcast!
Being there listening to our President speak was amazing. I was so moved by his speech and the things he stands for, I was crying. I am so proud to be working to re-elect our President.
A BIG thank you to all of you who continue to support me as I journey through life in Denver. I am truly proud of the work I am doing, and am excited to see what else life will bring me!
-Michelle
This link will let you watch the speech. I was to the Presidents’ right standing in front of the podium.
http://www.c-span.org/Campaign2012/Events/President-Obama-Begins-2-Day-Campaign-Tour-of-Colorado/10737432954-1/
I have some exciting news to share with you today. As many of you know, I am volunteering with the Obama campaign here in Denver. I am a Neighborhood Team Leader for my neighborhood, leading a team of volunteers in our various campaign efforts. The work I do with the campaign is very rewarding and I am so proud to be working to re-elect this amazing leader.
Today, the President made a campaign stop in Denver and gave an amazing speech on the topic of Women’s health. Not only did I have the amazing opportunity to go and see him speak, I was also invited to meet our President and have my picture taken with him before the event. (I’m sure you all can imagine how ecstatic I was when I heard this news!) So today, I got to meet the man I am working so hard to re-elect.
Thinking I would be SO nervous, I practiced what I would want to tell him. Being a team leader, I talked to the team of volunteers I manage and got their feedback on what they want me to tell him. The general consensus was “Thank you.”
First we gathered outside, got checked in, and waited….. Then we were brought in through security, purses searched, walked through metal detectors, and waited some more. We were lead to the meeting area where we…… you guessed it, waited again. FINALLY we were assembled into a line and got to see the President walk into the photo area. When it was our turn a staff member said “Mr. President, this is Elena & Michelle.”
Elena was so nervous all she said was “Hi, I’m Elena.” I introduced myself and he said “Michelle, I’m very fond of that name!” I then proceeded to share with him that I grew up near El Dorado, Kansas, where his grandmother lived. He replied with “Wow, we could be cousins!” Our picture was taken, and we were ushered on.
It was that short. But in that short time, I felt like I had just spent a few moments with a long lost friend.
From there we then went into the auditorium where he would soon be speaking. We were escorted to the standing area just in front of the podium, had a great view! Some of the volunteers on my team got special VIP tickets to be in the crowd of women on the stage. One of which you can see on the CNN broadcast!
Being there listening to our President speak was amazing. I was so moved by his speech and the things he stands for, I was crying. I am so proud to be working to re-elect our President.
A BIG thank you to all of you who continue to support me as I journey through life in Denver. I am truly proud of the work I am doing, and am excited to see what else life will bring me!
-Michelle
This link will let you watch the speech. I was to the Presidents’ right standing in front of the podium.
http://www.c-span.org/Campaign2012/Events/President-Obama-Begins-2-Day-Campaign-Tour-of-Colorado/10737432954-1/

No comments:
Post a Comment