Thursday, January 24, 2013

American Democracy Project

When I was in college one of my favorite professors encouraged his classes to watch the 2010 State of the Union Address.  He didn't just say, "Hey, the State of the Union is tonight if anyone is interested in watching."  He facilitated class discussions on what was important to us, about how we feel the President preformed in his first year in office, and asked us to join a Twitter debate hosted by the American Democracy Project while we watched it on TV.  (ADP is a "multi-campus initiative focused on higher education's role in preparing the next generation of informed, engaged citizens for our democracy."  Click their logo below to learn more.)   This was the first time I really found myself interested in politics, and excited to dive in and learn more. Each year ESU would partake in a Twitter debate with the ADP during SOTU addresses, and in the Presidential Debates during the election this past fall.  Prior to each debate Dr. Catlett would contact me to see if I'd be interested in joining his students on the upcoming debate, and I always did my best to join in and encourage students to share.

In August, after meeting the President, word made it back to ADP that I was volunteering on the Presidents campaign here in Colorado.  ADP approached me and asked if I would be interested in being featured in a "We the People" blog sharing my experience on the campaign.  The article was released Tuesday, and I'm a little slow at sharing it with you all, but click the "We the People" image below to get to the blog!  To learn more about the American Democracy Project, click their logo below.

PS: Pictures from the Staff Ball, blog post on Day 7 & pictures still to come!  Stay tuned....

wethepeople

No comments:

Post a Comment